Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Back on the bike trainer and hitting the weights...

Old Friends
I was discharged from the hospital 1 week ago today.  Since that time, I have gained 8 of the 14 pounds back that I lost during my hospital stay.  Problem is, I lost mostly muscle in the hospital and have been replacing it with mostly good old fat.

So on Tuesday of this week,  I hunted around for some bike shorts (very bottom of the shorts pile in the closet) and found some body glide.  I pumped up my tires and thew the Trek in the trainer and threw on my $350 dollar bike shoes I got for like $60 (Thanks Kyle and Paul LePage!!)

Our Training / Furnace Room
On Tuesday I only spent about 15 minutes on the bike, Wednesday I got up to 20 minutes.  Today I went 25 and threw in 10 minutes of weights at the end.  It is an amazing feeling to break a real sweat again!!!  The only sweat I have produced over the last 2 1/2 months has been due to breaking a fever in the hospital. 

If you are a representative from my Short Term Disability company or my Long Term Disability company researching me and you read this and say, "Hey, there is no reason this guy should be out of work!"; realize the following.  Each of these workouts need to be followed up by a two hour nap.  They completely wipe me out.  Also realize the sole purpose of these workouts are to build up my strength and immune system so that I can return to work as soon as possible after transplant so you will not need to send me a check each week!

Real Sweat!!!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!! and you.

Arlene said...

Thank you for the chuckle this afternoon - I know your situation is far from funny - but Chad - you make me smile and giggle when I read your blog!!

Stacey said...

You continue to amaze me with each entry you make in your blog. Not only are you fighting leukemia with an positive attitude but you're exercising too. Way to go!!!

Coach Logan said...

I rode my bike today for the first time in a week. You're making me look bad cuz.
Keep up the good work.

mollie said...

yeah that just made me feel lazy, I think I'll hit the treadmill today:) So glad you're feeling good!!!

sonya said...

LOVE the "real sweat" photo! You're keepin' it real for us Chad:) keep up the good work along with these awesome posts! Hugs:)

sonya said...

oh and PS... you've got a boiler there not a furnace. you know who my husband is:) same guy that tells me... it's NOT a fishing pole it's a fishing Rod.... at least i married an expert! or so he thinks:)

Kyle said...

Its great to hear that you are getting some exercise therapy. You're an animal.