Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

4 Years Post Bone Marrow Transplant!!!

It has been some time since I have posted to my blog.   As most of you know, my transplant was a huge success.  The first few months were pretty rough, but after a year,  I was pretty much back to normal.  Aside from being bald now..  I still get close to 100 hits weekly on my blog.  Mostly from people recently diagnosed with Leukemia looking for any information they can find about this horrible disease.

I hope after reading my blog, they have hope!  Leukemia is beatable!  I am proof.  I live a completely normally life now.  If you a a newly diagnosed leukemia patient, don't spend time on the Internet researching the probability of surviving leukemia.  I remember spending many late nights in the hospital looking at these terrible statistics.  These were some of the worst nights in the hospital away from my family.  Instead, focus on blogs and websites the highlight success stories.  And most importantly, stay positive!!  It will help you and your family make it through the worst of times.  Make it a point to laugh everyday.  Find the humor in things around you.  Laugh at how bad the hospital food is, laugh at the fact you have tubes going directly into your body to pump drugs into you, laugh at the fact as you finally fall asleep in an almost sitting position in your hospital bed because your lungs will fill with mucus if you lay flat will cause your oxygen to drop,  the nurse comes in, and turns all the lights on to check you vitals. Etc....

So, over the last year, my wife and I have run a 1/2 marathon (Harvest Half), did an Oly Tri (Rev3) and did Sunday Rivers Tough Mountain Challange.  Hearing that, you make think I am in good shape.  That is absolutely not true!!  I am overweight and only am working out maybe once a week.

Over the next few months, I will document my journey to drop 20 pounds and goal of getting back to a sub 22 minute 5K.  Right now I am at 181lbs running a 30 minute 5k.

Tonight I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and did some weight training.  Total workout time was 40 minutes.....

Check back soon!!!